Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Ottawa's First ComicCon

I can finally say that I've been to a Comic Con. It was one of those things on my bucket list, that I didn't see happening any time soon. Planning and travel is hard to do with children. Then the impossible happened: Comic Con came to me! Wow, what an unexpected surprise. It's all thanks to the new CE Center that opened in January; finally the city has a venue that can handle large scale events (though some are already saying it still isn't big enough). 

Ottawa scored some big names at its Comic Con debut: William Shatner, Brent Spiner, John De Lancie, and Marina Sirtis.What more could a Trekkie ask for? (yes well, we did have Patrick Stewart but he had to pull out last minute). For the anime fans there was Vic Mignogna, the voice actor for Edward Elric from Fullmetal Alchemist, as well as a few panel discussions about new anime this season and manga but they were held en franรงais. Like TCAF there were lots of things to explore. I spent most of my time in artist alley. It was a great opportunity to meet and see local creators. It made me very happy to see that there were so many. I'm going to be busy checking out their work.

By most accounts, Ottawa’s first ever Comic Con was a success with sell out attendance. The line ups were loooong but the crowd was happy. It felt really great to be among people who shared a common interest. Here are some attendee pictures:

The Incredibly Long Line-up to get in. 
He caught his bounty!
Call Naruto, the Akatsuki is here!


Boba Fett vs a Stormtrooper, and a guy from the Enterprise!



Hmm, I spy Luigi, a Star Wars girl, FMA's Mustang and Darthmau5?!


Ahh, Darthmau5 has a cute family, just look at Princess Leia


Scott Pilgrim's Ramona!

The ordered chaos inside.
A random famous car... just kidding. I always loved the
Starsky & Hutch Ford Gran Torino.

No comments: